Friday, July 13, 2007

Save a Forum! Start to Post!

While I'm on the bandwagon of discussing forum life, it's time to state something else. Being a forum owner is rather fascinating. From being a longtime poster, when you begin to run your own boards it's like you've stepped over the line into different territory. Sometimes, it is fraught with drama. Other times, it is clear coasting. But it's been a thrill a moment since I've conceived of the idea of extending political talk to forum running. Although there have been other forums that I've known and loved, I think it is a natural evolution because you begin to have the freedom to formulate discussion areas that you have a particular enjoyment in talking about.

However, one of the hardest times in the life of a forum owner is when you have a silent board. Of course, you have many choices out there that one can go to in order to have community, fellowship and friends. There are places in which you hang out because there's always something new to add and a plethora of insights to discover. But then again, when there is a forum where there is a lot of topics that might generate interest and a lot of people "shopping" around, then it gets a little tedious. You ache for action, for at least someone to get the ball rolling in order for the forum to kick off in grand style.

Now, I've never said that running a forum was a bed of roses. For the most part, it is hard work-- and almost like another job if you're serious about it. Sometimes real life coincides with forum life and you have to make choices. You have to construct the content around your site with the capabilities of the host. And of course, you have to watch your forum like a hawk sometimes when there are tedious issues that causes some emotional exchanges. But from what I've learned, one cannot be "rule happy" and they have to learn how to network. Networking has been the single-most thing I've had to do in order to get more people to know about my forum. And I have met some great people along the way. I don't regret one minute of it.

The beautiful thing about the Internet is that it hosts millions of people around the world. There is the potential there for a mixture of drama, intellectual talk and a lot of knowledge-growth. And a good member who posts is worth one's weight in gold. I also understand that there are a lot of people who are very shy like myself who like to lurk and not post, except in key exchanges. I started out that way. And it is hard for the shy types to eventually find their way to a forum that they like where they can get over the anxiety of not being "beating down" by the jerks whose only pleasure is to sadistically excoriate other posters for saying what's on their mind.

What I had hoped is to create a place that can have a great community in which people can discuss the issues without feeling beating down by abrasiveness and rudeness. As a forum poster, it gets tiring to deal with such people on a give basis. Hence (with the little inspiration from a friend) that's where the "real talk without the drama" slogan comes from. I wanted "real talk" without the drama. I know that there are people who exist who mainly want to discuss the issues without being told that their insights are "idiotic" or "stupid" or "garbage". There are people out there who just want to exchange the brass tacks without it being a discursive nightmare. That's what "Ceci's News and Views" is all about. The forum is not for me to post my particular insights without response. It's not a self-centered place for me to have my own sounding board. I want my forum to be a collaborative effort.

For that to happen, my forum needs people. Hell. I cannot say it any other way. My forum needs good posters who like to just hang out and talk without any pressure to engage in the subjects leisurely, politely and kindly. That's the kind of community that I am shooting for. Sure, it's boring for the more aggressive types who spend their on-line time browbeating other people. But brow-beating individuals does not make spirited debate. And it gets debilitating to have to continue to address people like that.

So, if you want to be part of a great community filled with wonderful, creative, intelligent and kind people, you're invited. Pay attention to the title: save a forum! Start to post and make your voice heard!

And yes....forget about the partisanship. We're only trying to have conversations on the board. :)

No comments:

Affiliations

Powered by WebRing.