Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Short Message About Intolerance

For those of you who know how long-winded I am, this will be a change. Of course, I will always write my long entries about the conditions of the world because they deserve the space and time devoted to dissecting the issues.

However, I would like to put in a short note about intolerance. Intolerance came to me in a very abrupt way in my past incarnation as a poster. And when you deal with others who practice this notion because of mean-spiritedness or the fact that they disguise their lack of tolerance by using "intelligence", discussions on controversial subjects only get worse instead of better.

It is sad that people exist who are unwilling to hear the other side of things. Instead, they use other machinations to prove the speaker should not be heard. In hindsight, it is also heart-breaking that there are people who are easily convinced to not listen instead of asking questions and trying to make connections. It has nothing to do with "intellectual dishonesty" or a "lack of communication skills". It does have to do with being humane and empathetic.

But, from what I read in some circles, it is easier to talk about hate and omission instead of facing the problems head on and discussing them as they are. That is also truly a tragic notion. It is ironic, in noting that when talking about the nature of hate, noone fought! Maybe there are communication skills one should have when dealing with intolerant people. However, the examples are too far and in between. I guess, when it comes to some topics, it is easier to join in with the intolerant crowd instead of providing a different perspective.

Yes. Walk a mile in my high heels. To quote a character on the show, CSI, they do hurt an awful lot.

1 comment:

Ceci said...

My dear Gem,

Unfortunately, no. The truth of the matter is that my account is as dead in the water as NetChicken ;-). The way that the forum handles people with a "long absence" conveys that they probably will not want to deal with me for the present.

My "absence", I believe now, is absolute (save the fact that those at the top might have a change of heart in the future). :(

In the eyes of the forum, unfortunately, I am still damaged goods. ;-)

But, I still visit the boards from time to time as a visitor to check on my old threads, peruse the comments made by those I care about and read some of the news that comes along. :)

It's my way of seeing how you are. :)

Believe me, I still have hope. And if the time comes, I will blink not just twice, but many times. :)

Take good care,

Ceci :)

Affiliations

Powered by WebRing.