Friday, October 27, 2006

A Big Thank You!

First of all, I am sorry for the pause between blog entries. This week has been one truly busy in the "real world". And when "real life" occurs in the forefront, sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do to finish the deadlines and then prepare to make time for the blog. However, this week I have not forgotten to continue to talk about this being the most important times in the present administration. After all, the beginning of November is a moment of truth for Americans. Although the polls in some states show some doubt among the undecided, other surveys have proven to shed some light about how citizens are thinking in terms of being fed up with the way things are.

With this reading of what is going on, it is very hard not to feel optimistic during this time. I surely hope that people take the time to vote and make their voices heard during this time. This is a critical age. We are at a time in which we have to decide the direction of not only foreign policy, but domestic policy. Even though one cannot forget the aspect of war waged by the United States, there are much deeper issues that are coming to the surface. Don't be derailed by the red herrings tossed by the GOP on the way to the voting box. And please do not let negative ads stir your behavior and influence your way to vote.

This has been one of the ugliest election eras to date because of what is at stake. I'm sure that the side who wants to stay in power is throwing everything but the kitchen sink to stir the flames of the populace so that they can easily elect four more years of the same thing. It is frustrating to think that a party would appeal to people's prejudices and anger solely to stay in power. But after witnessing what had happened during the "Willie Horton" days as well as other similar, dirty campaigns in which preached to the baser instincts of individuals, it is time to just shove that aside and learn about each proposition and candidate on your own.

The most frustrating thing during these times is that good candidates will be overlooked because of the money and glitz the other side is throwing out to get the most votes that they can. The only thing to counteract this influence is to ask questions and keep abreast of current times. This is not a time to rest on one's laurels. We have had five years to sit and to take what has happened in government. There have been passages of bills that have influenced our behavior, even at times restricting our very freedoms granted by the Constitution. And of course, because of power, we have had to be subjected to the demogaugery that continues to persuade the "loud voices" to browbeat people who speak reason because current policy dictates so.

It is our chance to change what the rules of game represent. This is no time to sit down and take it. This is the present in which we have the power of our voice in the vote that we cast. Of course, there will always be conspiracy about how the elections are run. With that in mind, it is best to consider how to express our voices the best at the ballot box--to the point of being vocal when going to the precinct. Do not be afraid to ask for a paper ballot. Say you refuse to vote electronically unless there is a paper trail. Double kudos goes to those who have absentee ballots because they have avoided the entire electronic vote altogether. Plus, with absentee ballots, you forgo sometimes the poll takers and other people that gather at the precinct asking your opinon regarding exit polls. All one has to do is to send their ballot in the mail. It always comes down to the absentee votes helping decide who or what wins in an election.

Now, that I've gotten off my soap box, last but not least, I thank those of you from the bottom of my heart for posting your opinons on my blog. It does my heart good that you have followed me here to read what I have to say. I am thankful to you. For those of you who know of others who had read my past entries on the "blog from Christmas past", please do drop them a line and tell them where I am. Please also tell them that even though I was down, I am not out. I am still writing, but in another form which still encourages a lot of feedback.

As time goes on, I will change the look of the blog and set up a new e-mail as well. Until then, please be patient and continue to enjoy the entries as they come. I do miss my ATS family very much. Despite what happened (and a lot did, mind you), I still think about them quite a lot. However, the writing goes on and the hope continues to present interesting reads for people to converse in a new format. I am also researching other places for expression, so when I find something else that might help in discussing the issues, I'll let you know.

I especially thank Gemwolf, Yarium and dcfusion for their continued support of a lady with the "Scarlett B" on her collar. Despite having the "Scarlett B", you all have given me courage to continue to write even in the toughest of circumstances. For that, I give you my utmost gratefulness for your kindness and candor in your posts. :)

As the push forward continues, always know that I appreciate and love you all for your continued contact and comments on the blog. :)

1 comment:

Ceci said...

Folks,

I am keeping this off the front page, but I'm thinking of having a community or member group on a site in which past/present members of the board can shoot the breeze and connect.

Would this be a viable option for you all?

Simply state yes or no and your reasons.

If people are in favor of this, I will search around for a solution.

It would be:

1)Member restricted.
2)The comments can be read by members and no one else.
3)The people involved can invite members to sign in.

(This is some of the stipulations, but they are subject to change if others are interested in this option. Please feel free to give me any suggestions on this matter as they arise.)

Take good care,

Ceci :)

Affiliations

Powered by WebRing.